What is Switchel? A fermented drink that combines the benefits of apple cider vinegar, raw honey (or molasses), and ginger for a refreshing and electrolyte drink. So very easy and inexpensive to make.
- 2 tablespoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons raw honey or blackstrap molasses
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and finely minced
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 fresh lime or lemon, juiced and zested
- Mix all ingredients in large mason jar, cover, and shake well.
- Place in refrigerator overnight
- To serve, pour over strainer, over ice or add seltzer water if desire bubbles.
NOTE: If using seltzer water, only add half the amount of water listed above to jar for overnight setting.
Benefits of Switchel:
- Apple cider vinegar-a great source of minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium, as well as beneficial bacteria and acids. Many people do not like the strong taste of it by itself so this recipe is a good way to incorporate the excellent benefits.
- Honey-a great source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and enzymes with antiviral and antibacterial properties. Excellent for digestive health.
- Ginger-a powerful natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It has a long history of use for remedy in digestive problems, nausea, and illness.
Treat Yourself Well!